Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A Hug

A hug…seems like such simple a word...such a simple act, yet can make a huge difference for someone.

After experiencing a rough week, I still had to work this past Saturday morning and later in the afternoon.  I was already going to Aurora for work in the afternoon, so I decided to visit a church I wanted to try out in Aurora that night instead of Sunday morning.  Seemed a practical way to save gas money…yet God had reasons why He led me to this decision.

As I walked into the Worship Center at the church, I was welcomed by an older lady who asked me if I could use a hug.  Perhaps I had this look on my face that said, “I’ve had a rough week, today I had to navigate my way here since the interstate was closed with an accident, and I’m exhausted from having worked all day.”  I call it my  “I’m overwhelmed with all the transition/adjustments look” which in some ways I don’t like and wish I could hide it, but in other ways I’ve found it to be a great asset as people seem more willing to help you.  I don’t know why this lady asked, but she did!  I was surprised and told her sure!  After we hugged, I let her know this was the first time I’d been to this church.  Her face brightened as she told me she was even more glad I was there, and proceeded to tell me she loved her church and why. 

As I sat waiting for the worship service to begin, I thought about how that hug encouraged me.   Here I am in the midst of strangers, a strange place…okay everything strange right now, and then someone I don’t even know would want to give me a hug.  In the moment of the hug, it seemed that all the stress of the week just disappeared. I felt like I was in a safe place, somewhere I could just come and be with God and everything else could just disappear (for now).

I thought back to memories of the morning, when I was working with the youth in the Bronco Room.  Several kids came up to me and gave me a hug.  In my three weeks of working, I’ve had a hug here or there from a kid, but this particular morning, it seemed to be “the thing to do.”  I didn’t think much of it then, other than to give these kids a hug.  All of a sudden that evening, I saw things in a different light.  The kids I work with also live in a strange place (many of them have moved many times), many of them go to a different school (if they go to their old school, they have to take different transportation to get there)..they too are experiencing hard times.  Perhaps a hug for them, is just a stable thing that says “someone cares” and is a chance for a little bit for life to just say “It will be okay” or “This is a safe place.”

What would it take for me to look at a complete stranger and ask “Do you need a hug?”  How could one simple hug make a difference in somebody’s life, giving them a perhaps much needed dose of encouragement?

A hug….a simple way of extending God’s love to those around us.  

Will you be willing to extend God's love today...all by the simple act of a hug?

No comments:

Post a Comment