Saturday, May 14, 2011

Mother's Day Surprise!

On Mother's Day, I got quite the nice surprise from my church (www.redrockschurch.com)!  I wanted to share a picture of the special gift and share a little why it meant SO MUCH!


The children's ministry gave all their volunteers a rose for mother's day - whether they are mothers or want to some day be mothers.  The Children's Ministry Director even told us single ladies - "Happy Future Mother's Day!"  

I've been struggling with "church."  There's a lot behind that one sentence, but I'll just mention as it relates to this blog, I've been struggling with feeling connected or belonging to my church.  This has led me to questioning if I should stay or look for a new church.  There are may reasons why I feel this way.  

However, on this particular Sunday it seemed God had the answer to my many prayers.  Earlier in the week, my church had sent the weekly email, including announcements.  One announcement was asking for volunteers to give moms a day off of serving in the Preschool Room.  So, I decided I'd volunteer.  After all, I really miss spending time with little kids (I work with kids ages 3-18), and had free time that day since I wouldn't be with my mom celebrating (other than a phone call).  I *SUPER* enjoyed the day in the 1 year old room!!!  Sure, every kid cried at some point in the morning.  There were runny noses, and a dirty diaper.  I had a kid who cried every two minutes and didn't want to leave my side.  I would get him calmed down and playing, then two minutes later would realize where he was and start crying...and so our process of calming down and playing would start over...and continue until his dad came to get the poor kid.  Such is the life of a 1 year old!  I loved every minute of it!  It was great to actually serve in my church somehow!   

A special extra bonus was a church who celebrates Mothers Day by even making hopeful future mothers feel special too!  I've never experienced this in my life.  In recent years, Mother's Day has been a really hard day for me.  This year was a first, a day of complete happiness and contentment.  It was a day of celebrating! 

To the mom whose place I took in the one year old room:  THANK YOU!  You may think you were blessed by having the day off, but I just want to say thank you for the opportunity to be blessed by serving at Red Rocks and with these cute kiddos!  

No comments:

Post a Comment